There are many components to be considered in the Digital Marketing 2022 space, but the most important is content, social media marketing, paid advertising, organic search engine optimization. If you are looking to build your brand or grow your business using these methods online, you must have strong analytics software in place to track your efforts. Without it, you cannot understand what works and what doesn’t so that you can effectively optimize for growth. Online marketing tactics have never been more accessible or effective than they currently are!
What is Digital Marketing?
Digital Marketing is the use of the internet and all other available digital resources to market a product or service online.
It differs from traditional marketing in a few ways:
- Product placement – The concept of having a product featured in a television show or movie, or put on display in a particular real-world location. In traditional marketing, this is done through sponsorships and product placements. In digital marketing, this type of advertising can be achieved through placing ads on video hosting services such as YouTube, Vimeo, etc. It can also be achieved by producing videos showcasing the uses of your product that lives on your website for people to view at their leisure.
- Personalization – In traditional marketing, personalization with a consumer is very costly and difficult to do, however in digital marketing it is quite easy and inexpensive to accomplish. Email and SMS messaging services such as Gmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo! Mail provide excellent opportunities for businesses to send out mass messages that develop a relationship with the user base. Additionally, social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, Tumblr, Reddit and more offer companies the ability to show up in their users’ feeds on an individual basis.
- Interaction opportunity – Personalize mentioned above offers interaction opportunity which can lead to conversions of potential customers. Digital Marketing also has the advantage of being able to provide real-time feedback through the analytics software mentioned above. The user base of the site can be segmented by demographic data to send targeted messages, which can result in the conversion of potential customers.
- Cost-effectiveness – The costs involved with digital marketing are much less than traditional marketing methods. There are also fewer restrictions that come into play that traditional advertising needs to meet such as placement in specific locations such as news articles and television shows. This offers a great way to reach a larger audience at a lower cost.
- Word Of Mouth Marketing – According to Forbes, “word of mouth marketing is when people ‘spill the beans about their experience or purchase in person, either in person or verbally through external and internal forums and social media sites.
- User Engagement – This final part of digital marketing is extremely important, and can be broken down into two types of engagement: Consumer-Company and Company-Customer. The first type is simply the consumer talking about the product or service that they love to their friends and family, who can then do business with you (i.e. friends and family of consumers also become potential customers). The second type is when a company engages with their consumers via social media or email marketing campaigns to get feedback from them.
What is a digital marketing strategy?
All digital marketing must have a strategy, otherwise, you will lose focus on your goal and it could fail. The way to go about building a digital marketing strategy is to plan and identify what you want to accomplish. With this in mind, you can set goals and track the progress throughout the whole process.
There are tons of different elements that need to be included in a digital marketing strategy:
- Planning – Assess the competition. What’s their advantage? What tools do they use? How much money do they spend? Identify what you need to do to succeed against them. Writing the plan: Decide on the type of digital marketing you will be working with (email, social media, blogging etc.); Define your digital marketing goals. Develop the overall strategy with tactics, metrics and contingency plans in mind.
- Target audience – Who are you trying to reach? What are they looking for? Identify keywords that they are likely to use in their search when looking for what you’re offering. Keep in mind that your target audience has access to the internet, so you must have an online presence.
- Testing – The way to see if something is working or not is by testing it out! Make sure to set control groups (if applicable), and make sure your testing platform of choice can track conversions/activity/etc. Once you find something that works, focus on it more.
- Measurement – Track what you’re doing. Quickly report on what’s working and what’s not, so you can see where your efforts are being spent. An extremely effective tool is Google Analytics. Use it to track conversions, return on investment, success rate, etc. Monitor the data daily to make adjustments immediately if necessary.
- Credibility – Having a digital marketing strategy can also help you grow your credibility within the industry by showing that you’ve got the knowledge and experience necessary to succeed. With credibility, you’ll be able to attract more clients and develop even more opportunities.
The success of your digital marketing campaign will depend on how well the above elements are put together. These elements are not necessarily part of all digital marketing campaigns, but they can easily be added to help. Many companies overlook them, but they’re crucial for success!
Types of Digital Marketing
Digital marketing activities are still evolving in their practices, therefore it is common to find multiple variations of digital marketing denoting what agency or consultant is attempting to garner visibility in regards to an industry, product, service or brand. There are various ways in which digital marketing campaigns are carried out across different industries. Internet-based advertising methods include SEO (search engine optimization), SEM (search engine marketing), e-mail marketing, social media marketing and display advertising. Online advertising methods can be classified into mobile internet, online display advertising, online video advertising and direct mail advertising; the latter three advertising field also being classified as direct response advertising.
- SEO (search engine optimization)
Digital Marketing is the process of affecting the online visibility of a website or WordPress blog by affecting the availability of that site or blog on search results. Websites can be affected by keywords searched, links pointing to them, social media activity, and other factors. It is estimated by Google that over 79% of its total global search traffic is generated through SEO.
It is now widely used in Internet marketing as a way to find large numbers of prospects or create lists for email-based campaigns or direct mail campaigns. Using PSM allows businesses to create pre-populated forms that are sent out to prospects via email when they express interest in a product/service, similar to how prospecting or lead lists work for telemarketing or direct mail purposes.
- SEM (search engine marketing)
A common method of digital marketing, SEM is a process of advertising and marketing done on the World Wide Web (WWW) and made possible by webmasters and online businesses who dedicate time and resources to creating relevant and cost-effective sites for advertising. SEM ads can be posted directly on a business’s website by the business owner or through an aggregator such as Google Adwords.
- E-mail marketing
Email marketing is another form of digital marketing that allows businesses to promote their products or services. This is compatible with the concept of Social Media Marketing, as this type of marketing utilizes social media platforms to build relationships with customers (typically through Facebook). Email marketing is thus an important part of Social Media Marketing strategy.
- Social Media Marketing (SMM)
Social Media Marketing (SMM) is the use of social media platforms to draw attention to a brand, service or product. It has grown rapidly in popularity over recent years due to the growth in usage of social networking sites and smartphones. An online community, sharing interest-based content related to products and services are linked by hashtags, search tags that are analogous to keywords on search engines.
- Content marketing
Content marketing is a form of digital marketing that focuses on producing and distributing relevant and valuable content to attract, acquire, and engage a clearly defined and understood target audience – to drive profitable customer action (sales or leads) that will have an impact on the business’s success.
- Pay-per-click marketing
Advertising through search engines such as Google Adwords is known as Pay Per Click Advertising (PPC), and it allows businesses to pay only when they get clicked on by a search engine user. Unlike most forms of advertising that advertise products or services, advertisers in PPC pay for each click that the ad receives. Search engine marketing is not considered to be a form of digital marketing, since search engines do not pay the advertiser until the ad has been searched and clicked on.
- Display advertising
Display advertising is placed in websites or blog posts and consists of text, images, videos or interactive components such as Flash. Display ads may be targeted to specific audiences or categories by age, gender, interests or location according to business requirements.
- Affiliate marketing
Affiliate marketing is one of the most popular digital marketing channels. It is used by digital marketers to drive awareness of their product or service with the help of others. Many companies are using affiliates within their digital marketing plan to drive traffic to their website or landing page via links through other websites. Affiliates are typically paid a commission when they refer a potential customer according to the terms set in the affiliate agreement between them and the company promoting its product or services in this manner.
- Native advertising
Native advertising is a form of advertising that is distributed through the publisher’s owned and controlled media channels. In contrast to traditional display advertising, content sponsorships, and product placements, a native advertisement does not exist in a separate format or channel from its host content. Native advertisements blend seamlessly into their environment and are indistinguishable from editorial content. The distinction between advertising and editorial is blurred especially on the Web where readers have grown accustomed to accessing information free of commercial bias. For example, some news sites allow for user submission of news articles or remixing of their contents into new articles that can be posted on the website under the original authors’ name using the wiki technique to differentiate these posts from advertisements.
The Benefits of Digital Marketing
Digital marketing gives businesses the ability to reach large audiences at a relatively low cost. Compared with other marketing techniques, digital marketing is also more scalable and measurable.
A broad geographic reach
Digital marketing allows businesses to advertise products or services to potentially millions of people. With the help of search engines, digital campaigns can target the correct audience depending on their location. This unique feature allows digital marketers to choose the best-suited platforms based on the regions the business is targeting.
Digital marketing is not only more cost-efficient but also highly scalable. Unlike the case of print media, the number of ads or number of visits to a website can be easily increased by creating more websites and increasing advertising efforts on them.
Digital marketing allows retailers and brands to develop and produce their content especially for social media and quickly disseminate it to their target market.
Brands that have a presence on digital platforms, such as YouTube, Facebook and Twitter, strive to be an authoritative source of information on their niche market segment by posting promotional videos, images and other relevant customer-oriented information designed to generate high levels of consumer participation online. This participation is known as “social proof.
Digital marketing presents the advantage of being measurable. Although it is difficult to quantify results, digital channels are equipped with tools that can help measure results.
Targeting specific customers
Digital marketing allows businesses to target specific groups of customers with customized messages by pinpointing their marketing budget to specific niches. This type of message allows the business to ‘speak’ directly to their audience using a voice that resonates with them.
It is difficult for companies to track whether their digital marketing efforts are producing any results or not, especially because there are numerous digital channels available and each one delivers different rates of investment return.
Digital marketing allows companies to increase their reach and specifically they can personalize the marketing message to suit the target audience. For example, they can adapt their messaging according to age group or according to specific interests.
Lower cost per customer
Digital marketing allows companies to lower their advertising costs and find customers over a larger area; it also enables them to turn more effective existing customers into repeated purchasers and lifelong brand advocates, and it gives them the tools with which to do this targeted advertising. This leads the consumer from an unfamiliar site into one where they can feel comfortable placing an order because they trust that site as a reputable seller of that product or service.
More connection with customers
Digital marketing helps reduce the amount of time and money spent on traditional forms of marketing and gives customers a more personal connection with companies. It allows consumers to create a reputation and build an online identity that they can take with them across many different websites, products and services. This can also help to reduce the loss of repeat customers as they do not leave the company’s pages when they are unhappy, but instead, stay connected with the brand through their accounts on other social media platforms
Utilizing social media is not only an opportunity to connect with customers but also helps enable companies to reach potential clients cost-effectively.
Easy and convenient conversions
Digital marketing provides an additional avenue of sales for businesses, especially small businesses without the need for extra employees.
While digital marketing is effective, various methods can be used to make it more effective. While both online and traditional techniques have their place in the business world, each one also has its strengths and weaknesses. Thus many businesses are combining digital marketing with more traditional approaches. Here are some ways digital marketing is being enhanced by other approaches:
The internet has opened up new avenues for businesses to connect with their customers, including via social media platforms. Through social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Linked In etc.
Benefits for business
Advertising through online platforms can be used by businesses to build brand awareness, generate leads, improve productivity, increase efficiency and save costs for many areas of operations. Digital marketing enables businesses to gain access to a large target market at a very low cost through electronic modes. It enables them to maintain track of their target markets by collecting intelligence around the behaviour of these markets online and take action against competitors in real-time.
Key performance indicators (KPIs)
The primary KPI is ‘sales conversion rate’ – the number of potential customers that complete a purchase in the desired timeframe. This is measured using data collected by a web analytics software program.
The secondary KPI measure is ‘Sales per loyal customer’ – the average number of products sold by one customer over time.
To qualify as a ‘loyal customer’ the person must purchase at least three products (purchases may be spread across multiple websites).
Online channels that must be tracked include:
This type of marketing is usually done through advertisements on websites, emails, texts and social media. Editing a business’s website text to include keywords that people might search for in a search engine promotes services or products to that audience. Businesses may also use paid advertising via search engines, social media sites, and other platforms. In recent years, online advertising has become more prevalent.
Digital Marketing Tools
Online marketplaces, like Amazon.com, have become increasingly popular media for making money online. It’s estimated that about 40% of the sales on Amazon are from third-party sellers. If you want to get your product on there, you either need to find a seller who will hire you or another way to connect with people who might be interested in purchasing your product or service.
- Google Adwords – AdWords is Google’s advertising platform based on keywords. It includes the Google search engine as well as other platforms, such as Display Network and YouTube. The advertisements can be text or a combination of images and text. You can also use Google Analytics to optimize your advertising efforts.
- Tribal Fusion – Tribal Fusion is a social media platform where you can create your brand, engage with the community, share videos, blog posts and more.
- Viral web marketing – Viral marketing is a form of word-of-mouth online marketing where consumers spread positive information about a company’s products or services by sharing it with friends and family members through social media networks like Facebook and Twitter.
- Google Analytics – Google Analytics is a free analytics software that enables an organization to track and monitor website traffic and keep an eye on the audience. This platform helps you better understand the behaviour of visitors to your website.
- Facebook – Facebook is a social media site where you can build your brand and interact with consumers. Also, it offers tools like ads, pricing and analytics which can help increase exposure for your business.
- MailChimp – MailChimp is an email marketing system that you can use to promote your business. This platform lets you send emails to everyone on your list, including new prospects. You can also track how many responses you get, the medium of the responses and set up automated actions for new subscribers.
- BigCommerce – BigCommerce is an e-commerce platform that helps you design, create and manage your website. It has a dashboard that allows you to monitor sales, just like Google Analytics does for website traffic. You can also integrate with PayPal for payment processing, while Shopify lets you connect with Facebook and Twitter for online marketing purposes.
- Asana – Asana is a task management app primarily designed for teams. It helps teams coordinate projects and share tasks with one another, keeping everything organized.
- Slack – Slack is messaging software that allows employees to communicate with each other about projects, work and other items that matter to them. It lets your employees collaborate easier to create a high level of productivity.
- Shopify – Shopify offers an e-commerce platform where you can build your website or online store easily and quickly for free or you can choose from templates that look professional and robust.
- BuzzSumo – BuzzSumo helps you find the top-performing content for a topic in a given period. You can then take that information and post it on your site or blog to help boost your website’s search engine ranking.
- Buffer – Buffer is an app that allows you to schedule social media content. You can schedule posts to go out throughout the day, week, month or year. It also tracks your analytics so you can see what types of content are performing well at any given time.
- Gumroad – Gumroad lets you create downloadable products like ebooks, software and videos which you can sell directly from your website or blog to help boost sales without extra overhead costs associated with other online marketplaces like Amazon.
- MeetEdgar – MeetEdgar is an app that helps you schedule posts to go out over time. It’s primarily designed for people who create content regularly, like bloggers and individuals who maintain social media accounts for their business.
- Hootsuite – Hootsuite is a social media management platform that includes analytics software so you can track the effectiveness of every post and see how many people have shared each piece of content. It’s mainly used by businesses to manage their social media accounts.
- Tinypass – Tinypass is an advertising tool that allows you to create a variety of advertisements in different formats for your website or blog. You can add text, images, videos and sounds to each ad which will be displayed on websites all over the world, from places like Facebook and Google.
- Grads – Grad is an app that lets you create custom ads that you can use for your Facebook or Twitter accounts.